CONTROLLER - February, 2016 to present
Tesera Systems Inc.
- Responsible for financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, and various special analyses.
Controller, 2015 to 2016
Computer Modelling Group Ltd. – Calgary, Alberta
- Lead a team of 12 individuals in the accounting and licensing groups.
Divisional Controller, May 2014 – June 2015
Ferus Natural Gas Fuels Inc.
- Responsible for overseeing the day to day accounting operations of a Canadian operation and three US operations with multiple product lines.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements for all Ferus entities. This involved the preparation of 8 sets of financial statements under IFRS, as well as US-GAAP.
- Undertook a significant achievement to look at the month-end process to shorten the timeframe considerably by identifying efficiencies and making process improvements.
- Responsible for the preparation of all audit committee reporting requirements including audit committee presentations and a quarterly and annual management discussion & analysis.
- Applied my technical accounting experience to develop financial statements for the first time as well as when new accounting policy choices were required.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Finance team during the Operations Accounting role and responsible for developing a team to support the needs of new business;
- Responsible for all reporting requirements related to the administrative operatorship under three joint ventures in both Canada and the United States.
- Coordination of the interim and audit requests with the external auditors and acting as a liaison between the auditor and the finance group.
- Extensive experience with the Great Plains accounting system, as well as reporting out of BI-360 and FRx modules.
- Instrumental in the creation of a document management system for invoices and journal entries.
- Extensive involvement with the management of quarterly debt requirements such as reporting to the bank as well as shareholders and active cash management.
- Responsible for the creation of budgets and monthly budget monitoring against actuals.
- Two-time recipient of the Ferus President’s award.
Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting, June 2012 – May 2014
- Responsible for the financial reporting needs of Ferus' Canadian and US Operations.
Team Lead and Financial Analyst, External Reporting, June 2010 to June 2012
- Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements for ENMAX Corporation;
- Responsible for the preparation of the quarter and annual management discussion & analysis;
- Demonstrated a strong technical knowledge of the power industry in Alberta and the complex accounting treatment that is required;
- Responsible for analyzing and implementing new accounting pronouncements under Canadian GAAP in the financial statement disclosure as well as analyzing changes in accounting standards as required under IFRS;
- Assisted with the preparation of 33 Corporate T2 tax returns for both taxable and non-taxable entities;
- Intermediate knowledge of the PeopleSoft reporting system;
- Coordination of the interim and audit requests with the external auditors and acting as a liason between the auditor and the external reporting group;
- Responsible for the IFRS areas of revenue recognition, provisions and financial statement presentation by becoming a subject expert in these areas and sharing this technical knowledge with other members of the finance group and executives;
- Developed the opening IFRS quarterly balance sheet as well as all external financial statement presentation requirements under IFRS;
- Reviewed the pension financial statements prepared by the Operations Accounting group on a quarterly basis;
- Responsible for the creation of financial statements for the ENMAX regulated business as required by the Alberta Utilities Commission;
- Responsible for the teaching and mentoring of a financial reporting analysis as well as numerous contractors.
Senior Accountant, May 2006 – June 2010
Deloitte & Touche
- Responsible for the completion of entire audit files from the planning stages through to the completion of the audit work to the file wrap-up and archiving stages
- Worked for many different types of clients ranging from small oil & gas start-up companies to some of the largest audit engagements in the Calgary office, which included Petro-Canada, the City of Calgary and ENMAX Corporation.
- Provided excellent client service to all clients that I have served in the 4 years in the audit practice as demonstrated by strong client feedback that has been received from all clients served.
- Led the teaching and mentoring of junior staff members on my engagement teams. This was particularly evident on ENMAX and the City of Calgary as these were brand new audit clients in very unique industries that were not seen by many individuals within the Calgary office.
- Have gained a strong knowledge of various complex auditing sections that are unique to the utilities industry through my experiences at ENMAX Corporation. This included the auditing of hedge accounting, derivatives, financial instruments and pension plans.
- Involved with the design and implementation and operating effectiveness testing of internal controls at Petro-Canada as well as smaller clients with a strong knowledge of internal controls over financial reporting.
Junior Accountant, March 2005 – September 2005
ARC Resources Ltd.
- Internal control testing of SOX controls for the Treasury Cycle, Development and Exploration Capital Cycle, Operating Expenditures Cycle and Revenue Cycle.
- Completed Financial Reporting projects that included: Reconciling the Inter-Company Balance, Creation of the 2004 Legal Entity Financial Statement Entries, Reconciliation of PW Sequel Amounts to 2005 FS Model and footing the Q1 and Q2 Financial Reports.
- Responsible for various duties relating to SOX that included: research for Board / Steering Committee meetings, updating the Project Schedule using MS Project, updating of documentation and controls and flowcharting of controls.
- Booked entries required for Financial Reporting into the accounting system using PW Sequel.
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting (2007) - The University of Calgary, Alberta
- ICAA Controllership Program (2013)
- CA School of Business (2009)
- Chartered Accountant (2009)