SYSTEMS DEVELOPER - April, 2016 to present
Tesera Systems Inc.
- Server and scripting languages (Python, R, Bash)
- Databases (PostgresSQL, SQL Server)
- Web frameworks (flask, django, rails)
- Cloud and deployment technologies (AWS, docker)
- Machine learning and data processing libraries (scikit learn, theano, pandas, caret, dplyr)
Django Contractor - September, 2015 to March, 2016
Guiding Star Communications & Consulting
- Pull down code from server and cleanup git repo
- Implement a feature branch workflow
- Review code, enforce PEP and utilize django conventions
- Migrate from sqlite to postgres
- Collaborate with client to define features (canvas export, versioning, and survey respondent data visualization)
- Implement new features and deploy to production
Django Sub-Contractor - June, 2015 to September, 2015
Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Collaborate with lead contractor and client to define requirements for new features
- Implement new backend models and functionality, and update frontend content accordingly
- Document PostgreSQL installation procedure
- Business administration (billing, time tracking, etc)
Catastrophe Risk Analyst - May, 2015 to June, 2015
Validus Research Inc.
R and Python Projects
- Gathered user requirements, updated management, briefed team, tested and gathered user feedback for two log parsing applications.
- tslogshark, a command line program to parse and access meaningful details from the exposure import logs one of the catastrophe modeling program Touchstone.
- catbeach, a command line program to parse and access meaningful details from the catastrophe bond modeling output (XML).
- Took the independent initiative to develop YoYGator, an R shiny application and package which enabled analysts to visualize and investigate inter annual differences in exposures and catastrophe losses for deals.
- Took the independent in initiative to develop analyst tools, an R package for the catastrophe modeling process. This included convenience functions for routine file system operations, database queries.
- Wrote and presented an introduction to R for catastrophe analysts and developers.
- Enhanced procedural documentation for the catastrophe modeling process and contributed to Catastrophe Modeling Wiki.
Catastrophe modeling for reinsurance deals
- Simulated natural catastrophe and terrorism insurance losses on insurance portfolios.
- Investigated aggregate exposure characteristics using database queries.
- Investigated reasons for year-on-year changes in portfolio losses.
- Provided underwriters with catastrophe modeling, exposure characteristics, and analysis summaries.
- Collaborated with underwriters to model unusual reinsurance contract structures.
- Verified unusual data with brokers and clients.
- Produced geospatial visualization for comparisons of industry-wide losses under different models and event rates.
- Conducted sensitivity tests and investigations of differences between model versions.
- Master of Science, Geography, 2011 to 2013
Thesis Title: Thermal and Hydrological Response of Rock Glaciers to Climate Change: A Scenario Based Simulation Study- University of Waterloo
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies, Geography and Environmental Management, 2007 to 2011
University of Waterloo
- 6 years of experience carefully munging data, implementing sophisticated quantitative models, and developing novel visualizations
- Experienced with R and python reproducible reporting tools and visualization libraries
- Documents systems and applications with diligence
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to identify software and information needs
- 2 years of experience developing prototype and production algorithmic software & web applications
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical subjects with non-experts
- Translates user requirements into technical specifications