PRESIDENT & CEO - 1998 to present
Tesera Systems Inc.
- Creating, communicating and implementing Tesera's vision, values and overall direction. Leading the development and implementation of Tesera's overall strategy.
- Formulating and implementing the strategic business plan, ensuring that it guides the direction of the organization.
- Leading, guiding, directing and evaluating the work of team leaders.
- Soliciting advice and guidance, when appropriate, from the Board of Directors.
- Overseeing the complete operation of the organization, in accordance with the direction established in the strategic plans.
- Evaluating the success of the organization.
- Maintaining awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, new industry developments and standards.
- Representing the organization at the local, regional and national level.
General Manager, 1993 to 1999
McGregor Model Forest Association (MMFA) – British Columbia
- Responsible for the delivery of McGregor Model Forest Association (MMFA) program, including: administration; management of nine full time staff positions.
- Liaison with numerous contractors and research scientists and technical teams and staff functions; ongoing communications with MMFA multi- stakeholder partnership, and external organizations.
- Communicate and advocate MMFA vision, concept and program of research designed to achieve sustainable forest management, adaptive management, and building capacity of people to apply their knowledge and use decision support systems to assist policy development and decision-making.
- Facilitation and development of the MMFA vision, concept, goals, objectives, budget allocations and program area deliverables.
- Implementation of the MMFA strategic integrated work plan.
- Coordination of project design, implementation and delivery.
- Negotiation and execution of Contribution Agreements between:
- The MMFA and Canadian Forest Service to deliver the McGregor Model Forest Association program.
- The MMFA and Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade to act as the Canadian Agent to deliver program direction and funding assistance to the Gassinski Model Forest in the Russian Far East.
- Participant on the Canadian Model Forest Network Committee.
- Active in supporting and encouraging the development of the International Model Forest Network.
- President & CEO of subsidiary for-profit services company McGregor Resource Analysis Group (renamed to Tesera Systems Inc.).
Assistant General Manager, 1991 to 1993
Council of Forest Industries of British Columbia
- Responsible for management of the forest policy function.
- Liaison with industry member companies and government agencies including; coordination, assessment and development of industry positions and responses to issues, policies and legislation.
- Active participant in interdisciplinary teams of industry and government personnel convened to manage current issues such as the Canada/US Countervailing Duty on Softwood Lumber, environment and land use, timber supply, forest practices, public involvement, and timber valuation.
- Communications to various public organizations, communities, government, industry and the media.
Manager, Forest Economics, 1987 – 1991
Council of Forest Industries of British Columbia
- Responsible for management of forest economics function at COFI through liaison with industry member companies and government agencies.
- Coordination, assessment and development of industry positions and responses to issues, policies, and legislation.
- Active participation in interdisciplinary teams of industry personnel convened to address current issues, such as; softwood lumber international trade agreement, environment, land use, forest practices, public involvement, and timber pricing.
- Collection, edit, statistical analysis and reporting of log sales, logging costs, and forest management cost data.
- Monitoring and forecasting of coastal stumpage appraisal system parameters.
- Development and maintenance of Vancouver Log Market statistical database and reporting system for use in Crown timber pricing stumpage appraisal system.
- Communication both written and oral to various public groups, government, industry and the media.
Valuation Forester, 1984 to 1987
Crown Forest Industries Limited
- Responsible for preparation of timber appraisal submissions to the BC Ministry of Forests. Analysis, review and negotiation of stumpage appraisals with the BC Ministry of Forests Staff.
- Development, implementation and maintenance of PC-based stumpage appraisal computer program.
- Administration and payment authorization of stumpage and royalty billings.
- Coordination and administration of stumpage credits including project proposals, contract requirements and specifications.
Inventory Specialist, 1980 to 1984
Crown Zellerbach Canada Limited
- Responsible for computerized forest inventory system database, data integrity and report generation.
- Yield analysis for determination of allowable annual cut.
- Timber cruise data compilation and analysis.
- Management and administration of forestry costs accounting system.
- Cut control administration.
- Administration of silviculture proposals and programs.
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry (1980)
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Association Of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP)
- BC Select Standing Committee on Forests and Lands, Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
- BC Forest Resources Commission, Vancouver, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Technical Expert UN/FAO Intergovernmental Panel on Forests, International Workshop “Integrated Application of Sustainable Forest Management Practices”, Kochi, Japan
- Support for Technical Experts - Joint Panel Review Hearing on EnCana Corporation CFB Suffield NWA Shallow Gas Infill Development Proposed Project, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Founding Member, Water and Environment Hub (2010)
- Founding Board Member, Alberta WaterPortal (2006)
- Chair, Canadian Model Forest Network Working Group on Local Level Indicators of Sustainable Forest Management (1997 – 1998)
- Co-Chair International Meeting, “Global Approaches to Sustainable Forest Management on Certification Systems and Criteria and Indicators” HAMPCO Joint Canadian Institute of Forestry National Meeting and McGregor Model Forest Association Meeting, Prince George, BC (1997)
- Member, Northern Interior Science and Technology Council, Science Council of BC (1995 – 1997)
- Chair, Canadian Model Forest Network Workshop on Social and Economic Indicators of Sustainable Forest Management, Port Alberni, BC (1995)
- Member, Forests for the World Commission, Prince George, BC (1995 – 1997)
- Co-Chair, Annual General Meeting, Vancouver Section, Canadian Institute of Forestry (1992)
- Canadian Environmental Technology Advancement Corporation – 2008 Alumni Achievement Award – In recognition of the contribution made in developing an innovative and unique environmental solution.
- Canadian Institute of Forestry – 1997 Tree of Life Award – In recognition of notable contributions to sustainable forest resource management.