DIRECTOR, SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS - March, 2015 to present
SUSTAINABILITY MANAGER - April, 2012 to March, 2015
Tesera Systems Inc.
Develop, manage and grow a number of projects that revolve around open data, geospatial web solutions, community and stakeholder engagement.
Executive Director, April 2012 – November, 2013
Explorus Data Solutions Inc.: Water and Environmental Hub – Calgary, AB
- Leading the second phase of 3 year, $1M project to further expand a water and environmental open source web platform leveraging cloud computing.
- Build a community of water and environmental stakeholders including government, academia, industry, and public.
Executive Director, 2010 – 2012
Water and Environmental Hub: Cybera Inc. Calgary, AB
- Leading a 2 year, $1.8M project to build a water and environmental open source web platform leveraging cloud computing.
- Build a community of water stakeholders including government, academia, industry, and public around the Hub.
Executive Director and CEO, 2006 – 2009
EnerVision (Green Building Service Organization), Calgary, AB
- Reported to EnerVision Board, Natural Resources Canada.
- Grew the company from 5 to 19 employees over a 2 year period with operating budget of $1.2M.
- Managed 18 direct reports plus 15+ contractors in the field.
- Led and trained Natural Resources Canada R-2000 trainers across Alberta.
- Led and trained Natural Resources Canada Western Canadian Building Canada team.
- Managed the Natural Resources Canada R-2000 and EnerGuide programs across Alberta.
- Managed Built Green Society of Canada program, co-developed the BG Multi-Storey Rating System.
- Managed development of Canada Green Homes web app/database that managed green home programs across Western Canada.
- Lead consultant on 3 of the 12 CMHC Equilibrium Net Zero home finalists.
- Managed the first USGBC/CaGBC LEED for Homes provider in Western Canada.
- Contracted with Natural Resources Canada and SAIT Polytechnic.
- Represented Western Canadian green home industry as technical expert to government and public.
- Managing the development of a Construction & Demolition waste directory and guidelines for Alberta.
- Technical expertise provided to AB Government on Carbon Off-set system for residential building sector.
Innovation Coordinator, 2006 to 2008
SAIT School Construction/Applied Research & Innovation Services – Calgary, AB
- Lead a team on green building innovation within School of Construction.
- Coordinated applied research and innovation within School initiating a project for net zero demonstration homes on campus.
- Coordinated Solar Decathlon partnership between University of Calgary / ISEEE – SAIT Polytechnic – Mt. Royal College.
Management Consultant, 2000 to 2011
Environmental Design Projects
- Confifi Group Hotels, Sri Lanka – Environmental hotel design audit – 7 properties, Environmental training for 100+ staff, Development of environmental management system, Green Globe 21 environmental hotel certification.
- SMED International (now Haworth Inc), Calgary, AB – Environmental materials & processes, technical marketing, product.
- BC Parks, BC – Assisted with development of a green building material decision matrix for BC Parks.
- RCMP Building, MB – Assisted architectural team with daylighting design of new RCMP building.
- EcoSource Consulting, MN – Green building materials consultant for TARGET Head Office.
- Alberta Sustainable Home/Office, AB – Green building project collaboration, LEED.
Researcher | 1998/2000
- University of Calgary – Office of Sustainability Summer Researcher – Researching point-of-use energy reduction.
- UBC Faculty of Geography, Vancouver, BC – Field/lab research for PhD in geomorphology.
- University of Calgary – Haskayne School of Business – Grading Management Information Systems undergraduate course.
- Natural Resources Canada/Built Green™ Society of Canada – Train trainers, train residential builders, management, trades.
- Faculty Environmental Engineering (Graduate), Guang Xi University, China – Taught graduate Wastewater Pollution Control.
- Sino-Canadian Int’l College – Guang Xi University, China – Developed & taught university English, IELTS test preparation.
- Continuing Education, University of Calgary – Developed, taught “Environmental Building Design & Operation” course.
- Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary – TA graduate level course.
- Rick Hansen Disability Resource Centre, Vancouver, BC – Undergraduate teaching assistant for students with disabilities.
- Master’s Business Administration (Global Energy Management & Sustainability) | 2011
Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
- Master’s Environmental Design | 2003
Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
- Bachelor of Science (Physical Geography) | 1998
Faculty of Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- LEED® for Homes Accredited Professional (2003)
- Natural Resources Canada R-2000/Built Green™ Builder Trainer (2005)
- Natural Resources Canada R-2000/Built Green™ Builder Instructor Trainer (2006 – 2008)
- Natural Resources Canada Certified Energy Advisor – EnerGuide for New Houses (2006)
- HRAI HVAC Certified Designer (2006), Moisture Control Technician (2006)
- RETScreen & EE4 Training (2007)
- Canadian Certified Environmental Professional (EP) (2010)
- Leaders in Environmentally Accountable Foodservice – Advisory Board Member
- North America Stream Hydrographers (NASH) – Committee Member
- Industry Canada – Technology Road Map on Sustainable Housing – Industry Steering Committee – Working Group Chair
- Enviro Tech Solutions – Project Selection Committee (Western Canada)
- Canadian Home Builder’s Association - Central AB - Green Building Committee
- Clean Air Strategic Alliance (CASA), Net Zero Energy Home Coalition Board (National)
- Built Green Society of Canada (National)
- Canadian Green Building Council – LEED for Homes Core Committee (National)
- SAIT Polytechnic Applied Research Fund Advisory Council